Your 5 point guide to replacement windows
Changing the windows in a property seems to be almost a national pastime in the UK – so much so that there are literally 1,000’s of double glazing installers all over the UK.
So to give you a friendly “heads-up” here are 5 pointers to guide you and keep you on the “straight & narrow”.
- be prepared to get at least 5 or 6 quotes for the work. It will be a miracle if you get the best deal around if you only talk to 1 company.
- Cheapest is not necessarily best. There is an old adage (saying) that goes something like – you gets what you pays for – in this case , especially for cheap upvc windows, that probably going to be true. Cheap windows can also be expensive to maintain in the long run. the less effort put in by the manufacturer into the product the less lifespan you are going to get out of it.
- Go for value for money wherever you can. If your budget allows it, then try to judge your potential supplier on VFM.
- Get everything in writing. If it’s not written down it can be argued about.
- Give yourself a 10% budget of unforeseen problems. Building work is renown for going over budget. This is not always the fault of the builder. Sometimes it just turns out that way. Don’t get caught short of cash to finish the job properly.
Whatever you do, don’t forget to only deal with accredited installers from GGF, FENSA, CERTASS AND DGCOS. Doubleglazingpriceguide.org.uk can help you with this.